Since I’ve been working from home more often, I decided to create my own work space so that I can stay grounded, focused, and balanced during these crazy times we are all living through right now.
Here are some work from home tips that you can implement for yourself !
Simplify Your Life
Create the lifestyle that you want by taking inventory on what is most important to you. This is imperative! You must prioritize your likes and dislikes so that you can start simplifying your surroundings. You want to feel uplifted and inspired as soon as you walk into your work space.
I decided to create my work space in the finished basement of our house. This is actually the last space that I thought I would have chosen for myself!
But every time I ventured down there to do some work, I instantly felt calm and relaxed which allowed me to focus better. It is also very quiet in this space which fosters a feeling of peace. Creating a sense of tranquility and calmness is a priority in simplifying my workspace. What is yours?
Let Go of Unnecessary Attachments
This one can be a challenge, but it is definitely worth cleaning-house and getting rid of those unnecessary attachments, especially possessions that you’ve held onto for dear life which are now existing well-past their intended purpose.
In my case, the basement was full of infant and toddler toys from when my husband’s kids were little. I have nothing against children’s toys, but both of his kids are fully grown and not living in the house. There were even a couple of childhood art decorations that were still hanging on the walls.
My husband and I went to town and cleaned-house! We filled at least a dozen trash bags with infant and toddler play things. I can’t tell you how good it felt to release those possessions!! After clearing those toys, the basement literally felt like a new space. It was completely transformed from a kiddo room to a cozy and uplifting work environment. Yes, definitely worth it.
Start now and don’t hesitate to let go!
Become a Minimalist
This one goes back to prioritizing the physical things that you want in your surroundings, and letting go of the clutter that no longer serves you. What is important to you? For me, I love the beach, essential oils, cozy lighting, and the atmosphere that is created from a Himalayan salt lamp.
After removing the toys, I added a combination of everything that I LOVE.
- We had a fake tree in storage, so I moved it into the basement and decorated it with white fairy lights which creates a soothing ambience.
- I added a hexagonal mirror and a picture of the beach for wall decorations.
- I had two of my favorite lamps in storage, so I transferred them to the basement and voila! These lamps add extra lighting to the space which brightens the entire area, helping me to stay sharp and motivated.
- I moved one of my Himalayan rock salt lamps to the space and LOVE the vibe it gives off! Besides providing a warm, amber glow it’s supposed to be healthy for you too. Salt lamps help to clean the air in your home and elevate your mood.
- And last but not least, I have an essential oil diffuser that emits lovely scents throughout the air, filling the entire workspace with an exquisite aroma. My favorite essential oil combo is lavender & orange.
Good luck creating your work-from-home space by simplifying your life, letting go of unnecessary attachments, and becoming a minimalist by only keeping possessions in your work space that uplift you and inspire you!
The author, Susan Kapatoes, MHA is the founder and owner of Inspire Your Journey, a holistic wellness company. She is a Wellness Partner with Amare Global, the Mental Wellness Company, and an Independent Distributor with BEMER Therapy. She currently lives in Massachusetts.