Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) Therapy is a type of therapy that is being used by millions of people throughout the world due to its amazing health benefits. It is being used by medical doctors, physicians, holistic health practitioners, chiropractors, physical therapists, professional athletes, and everyday people like you and me who want to improve the quality of our lives.
Let’s explore the basics of this cutting-edge technology that is being used in more than 4,000 hospitals and clinics worldwide.
How does PEMF Therapy work?
Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) Therapy is a process of pulsing electromagnetic energy into the body with a repetition rate called frequency. Our cells and bones absorb this energy and respond positively to these supportive frequencies which help to improve our body’s natural ability to heal itself.
What are the results?
All PEMF therapy devices are designed to improve blood circulation within the microvessels thereby supporting the body’s natural self-regulating processes. Blood is the body’s universal means of transportation. Oxygen, nutrients, chemical messengers (e.g., hormones) and immune cells are all transported through our blood. When our body’s cells, tissues, and organs are adequately nourished and metabolic waste products are removed, our bodies can maintain a healthy balance and function properly.
What are the Microvessels?
Our microvessels, the tiny capillaries and arterioles that are less than a hair’s width in diameter, make up 74% of our circulatory system. This means that the MAJORITY of our blood is moving through these small microvessels, while only 26% is moving through our larger veins and arteries.
These tiny microvessels are responsible for delivering oxygen and nutrients to our cells and removing cell waste. This improves the functioning of the mitochondria within our cells which generate ENERGY for our body. Our microvessels are feeding and cleaning our cells on a daily basis which makes them extremely important in maintaining our health for the short term and the LONG TERM.
INTERESTING FACT: Medications do not have an impact upon the microvessels because there are no medication receptors within these tiny vessels. And physical manipulative techniques such as massage therapy and chiropractic adjustments only have minimal impact upon our microvasculature system.
When choosing a PEMF device, it is important to ask the right questions as not all PEMF devices are created equal. Your health is vital to the quality of your physical, emotional, and mental well-being, therefore take your time and be diligent in your research before making a final decision.
To help you in this process, here are some questions you should be asking yourself when looking to purchase a PEMF device for your home.
Pay Attention to Frequency, Waveform, and Intensity
- LET’S BEGIN WITH FREQUENCY. Virtually all serious studies of PEMF show that frequencies below 50Hz are the most effective. Frequency is measured in Hertz or Cycles Per Second. One Hertz (Hz) is one cycle per second. Because all frequencies generated by therapeutic PEMF systems provide non-ionizing energy, they do not cause the body any harm. In fact, it is just the opposite. The frequencies present in PEMF therapy devices support the body’s natural ability to heal itself. Pulsating electromagnetic frequencies above 100-200 Hz are not as effective as they quickly lose their ability to provide the beneficial effects of PEMF on cells and bones.
- This is why BEMER uses a pulsed frequency range between 10 – 30Hz.
- WHEN IT COMES TO WAVEFORMS, BEMER uses a patented Complex Multidimensional Sine Wave that is carried by a Pulsed Electromagnetic Field (PEMF) generated by the BEMER device. (Note: the terms waveform and signal are used interchangeably). With PEMF devices, it is the WAVEFORM that is responsible for increasing blood flow at the microcapillary level.
- It is the waveform that is the distinguishing factor between high quality PEMF devices and those of a lesser quality. The waveform acts upon the smooth muscle of the microvasculature system, arterioles and capillaries, increasing the blood flow at the microcapillary level. This results in a significant increase in the vasomotion of the microvessels, arteriovenous pO2 difference, and the number of open capillaries, arteriolar and venular flow volume.
- It is the COMPLEX WAVEFORM used by the BEMER device that makes it truly unique and ultra-effective in increasing blood flow within the microvessels. Other systems use simple waveforms such as a simple square wave, a simple triangle wave or a simple sawtooth wave.
- LET’S TALK INTENSITY. BEMER devices generate a magnetic field intensity between 3.5 – 150 μT (microTesla). For comparison, the magnetic field of Earth in Budapest is approximately 48 μT. (Note: the terms intensity, magnetic field, and flux density are used interchangeably).It is IMPORTANT TO NOTE that the magnetic field is only a vehicle to deliver the pulsed frequency signal into the body. When researching devices, the main focus should be on the type of SIGNAL OR WAVEFORM that is being delivered by the device.
*** It is the quality of the waveform that determines the quality of the device ***
BEMER uses a complex, multidimensional waveform which makes it truly unique in the world of PEMF devices. It is this waveform that makes BEMER ultra effective in increasing blood flow at the microcapillary level.
- The frequency range should be within 10-30Hz.
- The complex waveform is the distinguishing factor that sets BEMER apart from other PEMF devices.
- The magnetic field is the vehicle which delivers the waveform. The intensity of the magnetic field should be within the range of our own Earth’s magnetic field for the best compatibility with our human body. BEMER devices generate a magnetic field intensity between 3.5 – 150 μT (microTesla).
Questions to Consider When Choosing a PEMF Therapy Device
How Does PEMF Therapy Fit Into Your Life?
Once you understand the importance of frequency, waveform, and magnetic field intensity, you should then consider lifestyle implications. Here are some questions you should ask yourself:
- Do I have time for daily PEMF therapy sessions?
- Do I have a budget that allows for ongoing session plans at a spa, wellness center, or medical practice?
- Do I have family members to consider as well?
Many of my clients first experienced the benefits of PEMF therapy by purchasing sessions at a medical or wellness center. But I’ve found that most people consider ongoing sessions to be inconvenient and expensive. It’s just too difficult to get to a wellness center 3-5 times per week on a consistent basis. And the costs add up over time.
Do You Want To Try The Device Before Purchasing?
The majority of people want to experience PEMF therapy in the comfort of their own home. By having the device in your home, you can use BEMER Therapy on a consistent basis which allows you to experience optimal results.
If you would like to try the device first before committing to a purchase, I offer a weekly or monthly rental option. Please click here for more information on my BEMER Rental Program.
What Areas of Your Body Would You Like To Focus Upon?
Do you want your entire body to experience the benefits of PEMF therapy or just one particular area? Many clients start using PEMF therapy to relax their whole body, and then realize it can help with joint discomfort, muscle recovery, and wound care for targeted areas of the body.
BEMER provides a whole body mat for entire body application, plus 3 applicators to focus the signal into specific areas of the body. One of the applicators delivers infrared light therapy with the BEMER signal embedded into the light for greater impact. This applicator works for the alleviation of skin conditions, impaired wound healing or cosmetic use to improve the condition of your skin and connective tissue cells.
How much time do you have for each session?
Because BEMER’s waveform is so efficient at increasing microcirculation, you only need 8 minutes, twice a day on the whole body mat to experience results!! This is an incredible benefit for people who are strapped for time. There is no need to make lifestyle adjustments in order to fit BEMER into your daily schedule.
This is in stark contrast to other PEMF devices which may require up to 60 minutes of daily use to start experiencing results.
How convenient is the device to use and store?
The BEMER mat is very light and easy to transport as it only weighs 2kg. The control unit and its accessories are fully portable and can even be placed in your carry-on baggage while you fly to your favorite vacation destination. YES, you can use BEMER while flying on an airplane as the control unit has a built-in battery which is perfect for use on an airplane. Jet lag is dramatically reduced and your energy levels are greatly increased when you use BEMER while flying.
Is the PEMF therapy registered with the FDA as a medical device?
BEMER Therapy is an FDA Class 2 Medical Device. Being cleared with the FDA guarantees a high quality product as the device must adhere to strict control standards in order to be classified as a Class 2 medical device. This is an important question to ask the PEMF company or manufacturer of the device.
Is the PEMF device scientifically proven?
This question is IMPORTANT to ask the manufacturer or distributor when searching for a PEMF device. Don’t be afraid to ask for the data. They should have this data readily available and be ready to share it.
BEMER Therapy is scientifically validated in peer reviewed research journals which can be found on PubMed. PubMed is the top online database for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. The United States National Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health maintains the PubMed database as part of the Entrez system of information retrieval. PubMed is a reliable and accurate resource.
Does the device have professional affiliations?
BEMER is the only PEMF Therapy device on the market today that is in collaboration with both NASA and the NFL Alumni.
NASA is embedding the BEMER technology into the next-generation of space suits in order to prevent muscle and bone atrophy of their astronauts. THINK ABOUT THIS. NASA has the financial means and resources to choose any PEMF device in the world. They chose BEMER because it works and its superior technology is scientifically validated and protected with multiple international patents.
The NFL Alumni is dedicated to upholding its responsibility to providing its members with the best possible benefits for their post NFL career which is why BEMER USA was chosen to deliver these health benefits. BEMER’s medical technology already services more than a million users worldwide, including NFL Alumni members.
What does the PEMF device include?
When researching PEMF devices, be sure to ask what is included with the device as most PEMF manufacturers offer more than one model. With the BEMER Pro-Set, you are truly getting four devices built into one unit: (1) full body mat, (2) B.Pad, (3) B.Spot and (4) Infrared red-light therapy applicator.
This is what’s included in the BEMER Pro-Set:
- Control Unit which generates the frequency, waveform, & intensity
- Database with pre-programmed session times for easy use
- Ability to program your own sessions with adjustable times
- Full Body Mat for full body application of the BEMER signal
- 2 Applicators for localized applications of the BEMER signal
- 1 Infrared Light applicator for localized red LED light application
- Built-in Sleep Program which supports the regeneration process during sleep. This is of major importance, especially for individuals who are undergoing rehabilitation and those persons who are elderly.
Don’t Settle for a Substandard Product
When you are looking for an in-home PEMF Therapy device, this doesn’t mean that you should settle for a device that is less powerful. A substandard product means more time on the device with less results.
Sessions with a PEMF device can range from $35-65 per session. Achieving optimal results usually requires several sessions per week. This option is out of financial reach for the majority of people.
If you are part of this group and want to choose an in-home therapy device, don’t sacrifice on the quality. Make sure it delivers the proper intensity and more importantly, the MOST EFFECTIVE WAVEFORM.
You will be making a one-time investment, so choose your PEMF device wisely as you are investing in your family’s health and well-being in the present moment and the LONG TERM. BEMER’s cutting-edge technology was originally designed for use in the professional setting, but due to popular demand, BEMER devices are now used in homes across the globe.
You can experience the rejuvenating effects of the BEMER Therapy device in your own home in just 8-minutes, twice per day. It will be hard to find another in-home device that provides the same amount of quality treatment at a reasonable price and flexible time requirement.
SUMMARY: Consider Asking These Questions Before Purchasing Your PEMF Therapy Device
In summary, ask yourself these questions before making a one-time investment in your PEMF therapy device:
- What areas of the body am I treating?
- How much time do I have for the sessions?
- How convenient is the device to use and store?
- Is the device scientifically proven in peer-reviewed research journals?
- Is it registered with the FDA as a medical device?
The clinical RESULTS behind the BEMER technology speak for themselves and offer unparalleled value in the world of PEMF therapy. This is why BEMER Therapy is being used by NASA, the NFL Alumni, professional athletes, physicians, healthcare facilities, and millions of people worldwide.
Experience the BEMER device for yourself, your loved ones, and your pets (yes, pets love BEMER too) with a one-time investment for your long-term wellbeing. YOUR HEALTH IS IMPORTANT & SO ARE YOU!
The author, Susan Kapatoes, MHA is the founder and owner of Inspire Your Journey, a holistic wellness company. She is a Wellness Partner with Amare Global, and an Independent Distributor with BEMER Therapy and Healy World. She lives in Massachusetts.
Informational Site: life.bemergroup.com
Online Store: susan-kapatoes.bemergroup.com
Dockrill, P. (2019). A Totally New Type of Blood Vessel Has Been Discovered Hidden in Human Bones. [online] ScienceAlert. Available at: https://www.sciencealert.com/hidden-network-of-secret-tunnels-found-in-bones-is-totally-crazy-scientists-say?fbclid=IwAR0FLj6nPrxeMiB3xZBysHidqw_dxlUW0698WLqvtql0L2dKe41Tus5oPC8
Gyulai, F., Rába, K., Baranyai, I., Berkes, E., & Bender, T. (2015). BEMER Therapy Combined with Physiotherapy in Patients with Musculoskeletal Diseases: A Randomised, Controlled Double Blind Follow-Up Pilot Study. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine : eCAM, 2015, 245742. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4452849/ doi:10.1155/2015/245742
NFL Alumni Partners with BEMER USA Marketing Affiliates. (2018) GlobeNewswire NewsRoom. Available at: https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/06/21/1527960/0/en/NFL-Alumni-Partners-with-BEMER-USA-Marketing-Affiliates.html
Ochoa, E., & USA, BEMER (2015). NASA-BEMER Space Act Agreement [PDF]. National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
Piatkowski, J., Kern, S., & Ziemssen, T. (2009, May). Effect of BEMER magnetic field therapy on the level of fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis: A randomized, double-blind controlled trial. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19422286
Storch, K., Dickreuter, E., Artati, A., Adamski, J., & Cordes, N. (2016, December 13). BEMER Electromagnetic Field Therapy Reduces Cancer Cell Radioresistance by Enhanced ROS Formation and Induced DNA Damage. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27959944
Wylie et al. (2017). The Haug Report, Physical Method IV, Special edition on the anniversary of the 50th Medical Week Baden-Baden. [online] imin-org.eu. Available at: https://www.imin-org.eu/images/science/Haug-Report-Bemer_2016_Englisch.pdf
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. BEMER Therapy is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with your healthcare provider and should not be construed as medical advice.